Sunday, April 26, 2020

Learning Who You are


    Learning Who You Are

          Learning who you are can be something of great value. There are many books that teach children about learning who they are and celebrating differences, but one book that does this that I recently came across and really enjoyed was called It's Not Easy Being a Bunny by Madilyn Sadler. It's Not Easy Being a Bunny is a very sweet and funny story about a bunny who doesn't want to be a bunny and is perfect for the small children that are in my Head Start class. I am using it for a virtual teaching lesson for my class and think that my students will really enjoy it. 
         The book features a bunny named P.J. Funnybunny. My students are going to love that name; I can hear their sweet giggles in my head as I think about reading them this story. In the story P.J. Funnybunny doesn't want to be a bunny so he decides that he isn't going to be a bunny anymore and goes of to become a different animal. The only problem is P.J. Funnybunny decides that he doesn't like being that animal either. So after trying to be many different animals P.J. Funnybunny decides that maybe he likes being a bunny after all. 
         I plan to read this book to my students and then ask them about P.J. Funnybunny trying to be other animals to get them thinking. Why did he not like being a bear? Would you want to hibernate all winter? Then I would ask them what they would want to be if they could be anything? Would you be yourself or would you choose to be something else? Then I want them to draw a picture of themselves or what they would want to be. I will share my own drawing of myself being a teacher to show them that I would still want to be myself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment